The Ninth Grade Academy, developed around the concept of a small
learning community, is a school-within-a-school organized around
interdisciplinary teams of English, math, science, and social
studies teachers who share a specific area of the school building.
Incoming freshmen are connected to a select team of caring Academy
staff who will use research proven best instructional strategies to
teach the curriculum as well as address their students' needs more
personally. Teachers work in a collaborative environment and are
committed to the learning of the students they share. Staff
will focus on developing and honing the personal and academic
skills while connecting students to academic and career pathways
that will define their next three years of high school.
It is the mission of the Ninth Grade Academy to assist the
incoming freshman make a smooth transition into high school and
meet the rigorous high school standards.
To provide programs and supports addressing the unique needs of
entering freshman resulting in student achievement
- Incoming first time freshmen are assigned to the freshman
academy. The academy is an organizational arrangement that assigns
students and teachers to a team in a set of rooms).
- The academy
- consists of cross-curricular teams of English, math, science,
and social studies teachers with one member serving as Academy
- contains courses of varying abilities, i.e. honors, regular,
and acceleration, and
- has a common planning period for staff to meet.
- Students remain with the teachers in their academy the entire
- Located on the first floor in a designated part of the
- Students may participate in required and elective classes
outside their house, as well as other activities such as clubs and